Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

GUEST AUTHOR: Jane Wallace-Knight

 Today I am interviewing Jane Wallace-Knight .... her latest book is available for pre-order at the moment and is released on June 5th.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
A: I'm 31 and I live in the East of England in a small seaside town. I'm a big animal lover and I've been a vegetarian since I was 11. I love cycling, baking, and going to watch live music.
Q: What is your writing dream?
A: My new series, The Happily Ever After Mating Agency, is a series of standalone stories based in the same universe. I would love to collaborate with other Siren Authors and maybe have them write their own stories for this universe.
Q: Which comes first, characters or plot?
A: For me it's always plot. I have a vague idea of what I want to happen in the story and the characters sort of reveal themselves along the way.
Q: Do you have the whole plot outlined before you start writing?
A: No never. I wish I did, but I usually have the beginning and a vague idea for the ending. It's when I get about half way through that I struggle. I find it's best not to try and force it but to let it come to you naturally.
Q: When is your favourite time to write?
A: I write best in the morning when my mind is open and not clogged up with the things that get piled up in there throughout the day.
Q: How old were you when you began to write stories?
A: My first memory of writing a story was when I was about 8. I used to write plays for my friends and I to perform in our lunch break.
Q: Did you always want to be a writer?
A: I did. I used to write stories as a kid and when I had to meet with a career advisor before leaving school I told them I wanted to be a writer but they talked me out of it, instead suggesting that I pick a more sensible career. They made me feel like it was a childish dream and it stopped me writing for a while.
Q. Do you like silence when you write or some background noise?
A: I used to only be able to write to dead silence, but lately someone suggested I try listening to movie scores while I write. The music helps to set a scene for me, and there are no lyrics to distract me. 
Q: How long does it take you to write a book?
A: It depends on the story really. The quickest I've written a book was three months, but then I also have something I've been working on for a few years now and I'm not even half way done.
Q: Can you describe your writing process on how to create a book?
A: I usually start writing a story because an idea gets in my head and I know it won't go away until I write it down. A book should be like a rollercoaster, you need the highs and the lows, but also sometimes you need to just go along and let the readers relax for a while before throwing anymore twists and turns at them.
Q: What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
A: Mostly beer, wine, chocolate, and vegetables.
Q: Do you ever use your own experiences in your books?
A: I do. A couple of times I've written characters who suffer from anxiety or PTSD, which is something I've had experience with. I've also unwittingly based secondary characters on loved ones and not realised it until after.
Q: What do you like reading in your spare time?
A: I like reading anything but I am a sucker for a good action story with a nice romance in there somewhere.
Q: What is your writing day like?
A: My writing day varies. All too often it consists of me writing a bit and then getting distracted buy some random thing on YouTube or Facebook. I have to constantly force myself to get the writing done.
Q: What advice would you give to new writers?
A: Guilt is your biggest enemy. If you feel as though you haven't gotten enough writing done, and you let yourself feel bad about it, then it can stunt you. Even when I spend the whole day writing I feel as though I should have done more.
Q: Do you read much?
A: I used to read all the time but since I got published, and started writing every day, I don't read much at all now. My eyes ache if I'm reading all day and then all night.
 Q: What luxury could you not live without?
I don't think I have one. As long as I have my loved ones around me, that's all I need.
Q: What’s your favourite food?
I love ice-cream. There's no such thing as bad ice-cream as far as I'm concerned.
Q: Who do you base your heroes on?
A: I don't really base my heroes on anyone. They just sort of form over time as I start thinking up the plot of a story. A few too many times I have later noticed certain similarities between my heroes and myself. They tend to have my opinions on things.
Q: What’s next for you?
A: The Happily Ever After Mating Agency Presents: Snövarg Island is my next book out. It's a story about shifters who use a mating agency to find a mate. The first in the series is about a third, a bunny shifter, joining an already established couple, a pair of wolves.

TWITTER  

No comments:

Post a Comment