Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

GUEST AUTHOR: Lynn Davidson

Join me today as we learn a little about author Lynn Davidson.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a stay at home mom with two kids, a tween and a teen.  I’ve been married to the hero of my heart for almost 20 years.  I’m an avid reader and spend a lot of time doing volunteer work.  I have a black thumb but love crafts like making cards and scrapbooking.    
Q: What is your writing dream?
I am living my writing dream!  My dream isn’t finished though.  I still have a lot of different book ideas outlined, just waiting to be written.  Some of them are erotic romance and some of them are mainstream. 
Q: Who are your favourite authors?
I have a lot of favorite authors.  Because I’d be really embarrassed if I forgot to mention someone, I’d rather not say. 
One of my favorite book series is The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel.  The series challenged my beliefs about religion, sexuality and who we are as people.
Q: Do you have the whole plot outlined before you start writing?
I have a general idea, but not a hard outline.  I daydream every scene before I write it down.  I end up doing a lot of daydreaming, sometimes needing to rework the scene a few times before it works the way I want it to. 
Q: Why erotic romance?
I love reading erotic romance, so it seemed natural when I was daydreaming about plots and characters that they ended up in an erotic romance.  Of course, since I was writing a ménage a tois, it was automatically categorized as erotic romance. 
Q: How did you choose the genre you write in?
I chose Sci-fi, because it allowed my characters to live in a society completely foreign to any time or place on earth.  I love learning about different cultures and societies, especially how different cultures have different sexual norms and taboos.  The culture I created for my book Golden Change, has a heroine from earth and two heroes from the planet and culture I created.   Her challenge is how to live in this culture which she perceives to be sexually permissive and they perceive it to be normal. 
Q: When is your favourite time to write?
I need the house to be quiet when I write, so that means I usually write when my kids are in school!  I’m not sure what I am going to do when they are at home this summer.
Q: What would surprise people to know about you?
I flunked 10th grade English!  I was a bit of rebellious teenager and I literally slept through my sophomore English class.  The class covered sentence structure, grammar and spelling.  It turned out to be a positive in a way though, because remedial Junior English class was reading and discussing books.  Reading had been a huge part of my life up to my rebellious stage, and she helped rekindle my love of reading.  To this day, she is my favorite teacher.   
Since my goal is to write more, I have thought about taking an English class at the local community college.  I often feel very inadequate when it comes to the areas where I failed, so it would be a confidence boost as well as instructional!
Q: Did you always want to be a writer?
Yes and no.  I’ve always had story ideas in my head, but never got further than writing the first few chapters.  I’ve written some fan fiction before, and loved doing it, but it was for pure enjoyment.  I’ve always dreamed of being a writer, but never thought that something I wrote would be published.
Q. Do you like silence when you write or some background noise?
Silence.  I get distracted easily, so I need things pretty quiet.
Q: How long does it take you to write a book?
It took me about one month to write Golden Change, then another month to edit it.  I let it sit in on my computer for another month before I got the courage to send it to a publisher.  My manuscript was rejected by the first publisher.  It sat for almost another year before I submitted it to Siren. 
I have been working on my second book for almost two months and it is almost finished.  I’m hoping it won’t take as long to edit.  
Q: What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
*Groan* I need to go shopping.  Besides soda, we only have the essentials, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, fruit and vegetables.  My husband drinks caffeinated soda in the morning, so one whole shelf is full of his soda.
Q: What do you like reading in your spare time?
My favorite genres are erotic romance, mainstream romance and mysteries.  I also read a lot of young adult fiction, since that is what my kids are reading.  I enjoy history books and anthropology books.
I like to read similar genres for periods of time, so when I’m reading erotic fiction, I only read erotic fiction, if I’m in mystery mood, I’ll only read mysteries. 
Q: What is your writing day like?
It varies so much, I hardly every have a typical day.  Some days I have hours to devote to writing, others I just fit it in a few minutes around my schedule. 
Q: What advice would you give to new writers?
I would say write the story that’s in your head, keep going, and don’t give up!  Read articles about writing, check out books from your library about writing, and don’t give up!  Submit your manuscript to the places you read books, and don’t give up!    
Q: Do you read much?
I do.  I am first and foremost, a reader.  I always have a book on my phone and a favorite paperback that I am re-reading.  I love re-reading books.  It’s like catching up with an old friend.  I also re-read books in a series before the next one releases.    
Q: What luxury could you not live without?
My smart phone.  I check Facebook, HuffPost, BBC News and the local news every morning.    I have all of my favorite books in a cloud that I can download at any time.  I also play a lot of games on my phone. 
Our family went on vacation recently where we had very limited internet access.  There was one place in the house that would get spotty signal so we took to leaving our phones in the windowsill in case an email message came through. 
Q: What’s your favourite food?
Pizza.  I love pizza so much, my kids have gotten sick of it!  I used to work in a pizza shop when I was in high school and college.    
Q: What’s next for you?
I am working on a sequel to Golden Change.  The working title right now is Golden Perspective.  It stars a few of the secondary characters from Golden Change and you might be surprised who ends up with who! 

1 comment:

  1. This was a great book. I can't wait for Tyler's book!

    ReplyDelete