Saturday, May 10, 2014

GUEST AUTHOR: Caitlyn O'Leary ...

Today I have handed the blog post over to an Author friend - Caitlyn O'Leary - so lets learn a little about her.

If you had to choose to give up one, which would it be, chocolate or sex?
“Good-Bye cruel world, I couldn’t live here, if I was denied either one!  Of course, the opposite is also implied…my happiest moments include both sex and chocolate at the same time.”
Why did you choose to write erotica?
I always knew I wanted to be a writer, and I was a fan of romances, so I was always going to write Happily Ever Afters.  In the last few years, much to my husband’s delight, I’ve become a fan of erotica.  I wrote a bit and found I was good at it.  I truly believe we all need a little mental stimulation to keep us fantasizing and happy.  This, in turn, makes our real lives so much sweeter!
Describe your idea of the perfect first date.
A restaurant table in a dark corner, where you find yourselves talking for hours, and there is something chocolate to share for dessert!
Since you’re married, describe your first date with your husband.
I was forty-five minutes late to meeting him, and he was walking out the door when I showed up.  I did a sort of interview to find out if he was a “good guy”.  He said he never felt more comfortable on a date.   I got a lot of great information that convinced me he was a great guy and we should go out again!
Do you fall in love with the characters you write?
I fall in love with them every single time.  In “Trusting Chance” I loved Chance’s mischievous humor and caring when he schemed.  I loved Sam’s over protective, sometimes domineering side, but that he also had inner demons that he needed to work out.   I fell in love with Josie as a great friend of mine, (even if she was so small that she could be carried around everywhere by the heroes!)
Where do you get the ideas to develop your characters?
 Some things are definitely art imitating life, which makes it easy for me to understand what the characters are going through.  Other things are just internal struggles that I’ve battled within my own psyche.  I’m also an avid people watcher, and have worked with and listened to others for years.  I’ve been blessed to see so many people struggle and grow.  I hope that my characters the very real strength of others that I have known. 
Do you have a favorite activity to recharge your batteries before you start a new project?
I attempt to take a few days off, get in some quality time with friends and family who I might have been ignoring.  But then the voices in my head force me back in front of the keyboard.
Do you ever get angry at the characters you write?
Yes, occasionally I get a little impatient them.  My characters remind me of me, they are always doing something to paint themselves into a corner.  For example in “Protecting Olivia” the main character always thought she was invincible because she knew that the cause she was fighting for was just, but she often ended up in harm’s way and needing help. 
My characters don’t do things maliciously or stupidly they usually are trying to do what’s right, but they make a mess of things and it requires other characters to set them straight.  I regularly require the people in my life to help put me back on the rails, as well. Thank God for good friends and family!
Have you always wanted to be an author?
I’ve wanted to write since reading my first Trixie Belden book when I was 9 or 10 years old.
What genre(s) do you write?
I write erotica, Menage a Trois, Happily Ever After.  What’s the point of writing a book without a happily ever after?
Have you ever Self-Published?
Just the books I used to give out to friends and family in elementary and middle school.
Who or what inspired you to write your first book?
Sophie Oak.  I loved her Bliss Colorado and Siren in the  City series.
How many hours in a day might you write?
I work a full-time job, so I probably write 2-3 hours each day, and wake up in the middle o the night and get in another 1-2 hours.
Are you a plotter or a panster?
Since I’m writing a series, I have an idea of the characters I want to write about before I end the previous book.  Once I have the characters in mind, they write their own story.  Seriously, the story kind of comes out of my fingertips onto the computer screen.  It’s really kind of weird.
Are you in any of your books?
The heroine in book three of my series describes one of my worst dates ever as her own.
What reaction have you had from family and friends about your books?
Because it is erotica, I have had mixed results, my husband is very supportive.  All of my family is happy that I’m successful, even if they aren’t really thrilled with the genre that I’m writing.  The funniest reaction is from my 80 year old father who is anxiously awaiting the print version of my first “dirty” book to come out.  He’s got everyone in his retirement community and the food bank where he volunteers waiting to buy copies as well.  Apparently they are all excited to read it.  Thanksgiving is going to be really interesting this year.

Caitlyn's latest book - Trusting Chance - can be bought from the Publishers website.



Website:              https://www.caitlynoleary.com/
E-Mail:                Caitlyn@Caitlynoleary.com
Blog:                    https://www.caitlynoleary.com/blog
Facebook:           https://www.facebook.com/caitlyn.oleary.35
Twitter:                https://twitter.com/CaitlynOLearyNA

No comments:

Post a Comment