Pages

Sunday, June 01, 2014

GUEST AUTHOR: Jordan Ashley

My author friend Jordan Ashley agreed to answer a few questions about herself.  SO join me as we learn a little about her. 

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I live in northern Ohio with three young kids, a spoiled rotten Maine coon, and the love of my life.  I’m addicted to supernatural and crime shows, such as Supernatural, Agents of Shield, Dead Files, Ghost Adventures, NCIS, and Criminal Minds.
I’m an almost 30 year old divorce’ who is just finally getting her life together.  I work at Kohl’s as a cashier, have my own ‘aroma’ business—make my own candles, wax melts and aroma beads- and sell out of my own Etsy shop, and then in August I will be going back to school full time for Massage Therapy. 
I’m a busy person, but I always find time to do what I love - write.  Whether it’s plotting out books, working on what’s currently “in progress” for me, or just simply commenting on posts on Facebook I write.  I’m a Facebook junkie and I’m ALWAYS on there!
After probably twenty or more rejections I finally got my chance at being published with Siren Publishing.  All The Difference is just the first book of many in the Club Aries series!
Q: How did you choose the genre you write in?
I don’t truly stick to one genre actually, I write a little bit of everything.  The debut is contemporary, however, I have many depths of paranormal, a crime adventure, and looking at starting a horror series. I’m interested in everything, and so I can’t find myself just working in one genre, feels too limiting!
Q: What is your writing dream?
The true writing dream for me—the... WAY OUT THERE to Jupiter dream? To become the next big thing.  Who doesn’t want that, you know? I’d like to be able to get my stories out there and have my works explode, and have people just as invested in my characters as I am. I’d love for the books to be on the silver screen, and make all kinds of money! LOL!
The REALISTIC dream? I just want the world to read my stories, fall in love with the characters and locations just as I have. I want to eventually be able to just be a full time author so I can stay at home with my kids and not worry about getting my requests off at work honoured.
Q: Who are your favourite authors?
Way too many to count, I mean seriously.  Julie Garwood got me started on romance when I was fourteen years old with her book Saving Grace. Her hero in that book is why I named my son Gabriel. Stephen King, Rowling, Martin (Game of Thrones), Kristin Daniels, Regina Carlysle, Elle Boon (One of my girlfriends!!) Anna Alexander, Sasha Devlin. The last five I have the intense privilege to PERSONALLY know.
Q: Which comes first, characters or plot?
Depends.  There’s a story I wanted to tell about a woman changing her destiny (Just a TOUCH of paranormal) The characters filled in around it.  The Aries series? Characters came first.
Q: Do you have the whole plot outlined before you start writing?
Umm. Sometimes.  I have to know the overall arc.  The meet, the conflict and how it’d going to be resolved.  As I start writing, I’ll get maybe a fourth to half way through and plan out the rest of the chapters so I have a general direction. Sometimes the characters will take me off guard and veer a little.
Q: When did you start writing?
When I was just fourteen years old.  I read L.J. Smith’s Dark Visions trilogy, and was so inspired by the story I wrote a fan-fiction.  It was horrible. LMAO! HOR-I-BLE. It’s undergone 4 or 5.... maybe 6 revisions and rewrites and It has now become my crime adventure (with a twist of paranormal;))
Q: Why erotic romance?
When my marriage started falling apart is when I discovered erotica. My first read? Desiree Holt. It was a short of hers, and I cannot, for the life of me, remember the title. I attended Romanticon that year, 2011, for the first time ever and never looked back.  I found comfort in the freedom of the writing while coping with the failing marriage, and the inevitable depression that came along with it. 
Once I filed for divorce it was a comfort to lose myself in those worlds I created and the intimacy between the characters that I craved so intensely then.
Q: When is your favourite time to write?
Once the kiddos are in bed, and the boyfriend has gone off to work for the night.  Everything is quiet, I can blast my music into my ears and zone out without fear of getting interrupted J
Q: What would surprise people to know about you?
Surprise people? HA. Well Writing erotica was certainly a surprise for my family I think.  For any of my friends... Perhaps that I’m still shy as hell to approach new people.
Another thing is that I do make my own candles. It’s actually a really relaxing thing for me, and I’ll be using them as purchasable swag starting in fall, once I get my pillar wax, I’ll use those and tea lights as give-aways J
Q: Did you always want to be a writer?
Oh yes, Ever since that first inspiration it was something I wanted to do with my life, and now my 14 year old dream is finally coming true!
Q: How long does it take you to write a book?
Depends on the story.  With Book Two of the Aries series I wrote it in 26 days for NaNoWriMo.  Book Three It’s taken me 5 months.  Just depends on how loudly the characters speak to me.  My crime adventure has been through so many rewrites as I stated previously, that it’s taken me 15 years to be close to happy with it.
Q: What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
A lot of food that tries to be healthy, condiments, probably SOME left overs. Pepsi, a whole case of it, ‘cause the boyfriend won’t keep it out of the house when he knows I’m trying to kick the habit.
Q: Do you ever use your own experiences in your books?
OH definitely.  Conversations, actual occurrences, one of the books I’m plotting (Actually a chapter or two away from being finished) is me and my boyfriend’s story ;)
Q: What luxury could you not live without?
My computer, definitely! I NEED this baby.
Q: What’s your favourite food?
Gimme anything Italian.  Pasta, I’m a pasta whore LMAO!
Q: Who do you base your heroes on?
Another one of those “depends” answers.  But this isn’t an adult diaper ;) The heroes in Club Aries are based off of REAL men. Diego is based off of David Nieves, a cover model for another publishing company. He’ll be featured in Joe Mangienello’s movie “La Bare” coming out at the end of June. Adrian was inspired by Ace “Boogie” He asked me at the 2013 Romanticon if I would write a book for him.  Thus... Chivalry Isn’t Dead was born. All the men are based off of REAL LIVE people. –The first six, plus Luka- The rest were inspired by actors, two wrestlers in the WWE.
Another couple of Heroes are based off of my boyfriend. Others... traits I see in characters actors play.
Q: What’s next for you?

Finishing the Club Aries series for starters. Then I’m planning on working on a paranormal erotica series-the Healing Springs series. I have a couple of other books in the works, and there’s potential for my horror series to possibly have an erotic side to it as well.  Keep your eyes open, ‘cause I’m just getting started! 

 LINKS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorjordanashley
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JordanAshleyWat
Blog : http://authorjordanashley.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your blog today, Suzy! I appreciate it! -- Jordan Ashley

    ReplyDelete